- Over 30 applications of math (specifically, precalculus) to health, personal finance, and love that help you optimize these aspects of life
- Chapter summaries and bonus tips that highlight the most important takeaways
- Chapter appendixes that guide you through the derivations of the formulas presented
- Interactive applets and calculators tied to the most important formulas presented—see the Interactive Applets page
- Great for students and teachers too: chapters track precalculus textbook contents
- Available in eBook and Hardback
- Forthcoming translations: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese
What’s the best diet for overall health and weight management? How can we change our finances to retire earlier? How can we maximize our chances of finding our soul mate?
In The Calculus of Happiness, Oscar Fernandez shows us that math yields powerful insights into health, wealth, and love. Using only high-school-level math (precalculus with a dash of calculus), Fernandez guides us through several of the surprising results, including an easy rule of thumb for choosing foods that lower our risk for developing diabetes (and that help us lose weight too), simple “all-weather” investment portfolios with great returns, and math-backed strategies for achieving financial independence and searching for our soul mate. Moreover, the important formulas are linked to a dozen free online interactive calculators on Fernandez’s website, allowing one to personalize the equations.
Fernandez uses everyday experiences–such as visiting a coffee shop–to provide context for his mathematical insights, making the math discussed more accessible, real-world, and relevant to our daily lives. Every chapter ends with a summary of essential lessons and takeaways, and for advanced math fans, Fernandez includes the mathematical derivations in the appendices.
A nutrition, personal finance, and relationship how-to guide all in one, The Calculus of Happiness invites you to discover how empowering mathematics can be.